Friday, July 19, 2013

"Brickle Coconut Ice Cream Bombe" To Celebrate My 150th Post And "National Ice Cream Month"

Welcome to my 150th Blog Post!! On January 18, 2011, I introduced my first post into the food blogging world. I remember being very excited about sharing my thoughts with you. When I started my blog I had said, “That you would find plenty of family stories and recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation.” Now, at 150 posts later, I think I have accomplished so much and have much more to share. I owe everything to you, my readers! With 143 countries and over 46,500 followers that come back every week to see my next recipe and story, I am totally overwhelmed! I get such great pleasure from writing this blog, as it gives me the opportunity to share with you two of my passions which is; my love of writing and cooking/baking my family recipes. Your willingness to continue to read my words every week are very encouraging. 

With that being said, I need to say “Thank You” to all of you across the world. Thank You for the comments and suggestions that I have received. Finally, to my friends, family, and my mom (Madeline) in particular who has given me encouragement and shared the recipes of our family members. One last thought, I would love to thank my grandmother’s and my great-grandmother Sofia, even though they have passed on. If it was not for their stories and recipes that were passed down to my mom, I never would have been able to write this blog.

So what better way to celebrate my 150th post, than with Ice Cream! Well it is a party after all! Yes, and what a party it will be as July is National Ice Cream month and Sunday, July 21 is also National Ice Cream Day! I always loved ice cream, anyway, any flavor. In 1984, President Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month and the third Sunday of the month as National Ice Cream Day.

Marco Polo visited China and took the technique of making ice cream to Italy. Today in Italy, “Gelato” is very popular as an Italian frozen dessert having a lower milk fat content than ice cream. Ice cream was first introduced to the United States in 1700’s. It is said that Ben Franklin, George Washington, and Thomas Jefferson were known to have regularly eaten and served ice cream. First Lady Dolley Madison is also known to have served ice cream at her husband‘s President James Madison’s Inaugural Ball in 1813. Augustus Jackson, around 1832, an African American confectioner invented a technique to manufacturer ice cream. Ice cream became extremely popular in the second half of the 20th century. Refrigeration became common and there was an explosion of ice cream stores with a vast variety of flavors. Howard Johnson’s and Baskin-Robbins 31 Flavors became popular. As the soft ice cream was introduced, the USA was able to establish chains of soft serve ice cream that fit into a cone from a spigot. That is when Dairy Queen, Carvel, Tastee-Freez, and Mr. Softee were born. The 1980s saw the beginnings of Ben & Jerry’s, Haagen-Dazs, Starbucks, Cold Stone Creamery, and the rest is history!



No matter what the occasion, ice cream is a wonderful treat that adds to the celebration. Old favorites like sundaes, banana splits, milkshakes, pie a-la-mode, and ice cream cones are among the most popular and simplest choices. However, serving ideas for ice cream are only as limited as your imagination! And don't forget the cherry! Check out my recipe this week. This is my take on a fabulous and cool refreshing dessert. (courtesy of Food Network Magazine)



Brickle Coconut Ice Cream Bombe


Prep Time: 3 hours
Level: Easy
Servings: 8 servings

Ingredients:
1 1/2 quarts vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
1 quart Butter Brickle or Butter Crunch ice cream, slightly softened
1 10 to 12 ounce frozen pound cake (Sara Lee) cut lengthwise into 1 inch thick slices 
3 tablespoons Kaluha (optional)
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted

Directions:
Line a 3-quart, 9-inch-diameter bowl with plastic wrap. (make sure you use extra to go beyond the bowl) Scoop the vanilla ice cream into the bowl; top with a sheet of plastic wrap and gently press the ice cream into the bottom and up the side of the bowl in an even layer, stopping about 1 inch below the rim and leaving a crater in the center. Freeze until firm, about 45 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and scoop the Butter Brickle ice cream into the vanilla ice cream crater. Gently pack in the ice cream and smooth the top. Brush both sides of the pound cake slices with the Kaluha. Press the cake slices on top of the ice cream in a single layer to cover completely, trimming as needed (you may have some cake left over). Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 2 hours. Remove the top layer of plastic wrap and invert the bowl onto a serving plate. Wipe the outside of the bowl with a hot cloth, then remove the bowl. Remove the plastic wrap and press the coconut onto the cake. Serve immediately or cover and freeze for up to 2 days.

Till Next Time……………………………..

Copyright © 2013 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. You are killing me, I am trying to get back into shape for my summer clothes and this is not helping at all! :D

    ReplyDelete