Friday, December 13, 2013

Day 1 Of "The 12 Days Of Christmas Music" & Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake

“I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year,” by Charles Dickens
 

One of my favorite things about this time of year is Christmas music. As I get into the holiday spirit and prepare for Christmas, I love to put on the CD’s of my favorite Christmas tunes. There is nothing like hearing Christmas music to get you into the spirit of these wonderful holidays. So, my thoughts went to you, my readers, and wanted to share my favorite Christmas songs with you. I can imagine the CD’s playing and all of us singing along as we decorate the tree, or bake some cookies, or even as you write your holiday cards. So with that being said, my gift to you this year is what I like to call “The 12 Days of Christmas Music.” Everyday for the next 12 days I will post a Christmas song, and share a holiday treat, a homemade gift idea, or just a favorite recipe that I think may go with that song, all leading up to “Christmas Day.” This has been an incredible year! I have met many people, learned many new things, but most of all, I want to say thank you to my readers, as we prepare for the most joyous time of the year!
Day 1:

Blue Christmas” by Elvis Presley  

I'll have a Blue Christmas without you
I'll be so blue thinking about you
Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree
Won't be the same dear, if you're not here with me. 

And the when those blue snowflakes start fallin'
That's when those blue memories start callin'
You'll be doin' all right, with your Christmas of white
But I'll have a blue, blue, blue, blue Christmas.


Most people associate Blue Christmas with Elvis Presley, but the song had been around a decade before “the King” recorded it. Check out the story behind this rock-and-roll holiday classic…Blue Christmas is a Christmas song written by Billy Hayes and Jay W. Johnson. The heart-broken tale of unrequited love during the holidays had long been considered a Christmas staple of country music. Elvis Presley effectively made Blue Christmas a steadfast rock-and-roll holiday classic by recording it in his signature style in 1957. The song has since been recorded by a host of rock and country artists, as well as those of other genres. The song has been covered by artists such as Céline Dion, The Beach Boys, Dean Martin, and Andrea Bocelli. There have been more than 65 significant recorded versions. It has won 4 awards for wonderful song lyrics, meaning and tune. Elvis Presley’s famous recording of the song appeared on his 1957 LP, Elvis’ Christmas Album. Presley’s version was also released as a single for the first time in 1964. 



My recipe for today is “Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake.” When I think about Elvis, I can see how this is a perfect dessert to put you in the mood for a Blue Christmas. This cake is moist, delicious, and it will make you want seconds! Enjoy your cake and sing “Blue Christmas”……

Don’t forget to come back tomorrow, for another Christmas song and a delicious fun recipe!

Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake”


Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk
3 cups blueberries, divided


Streusel Topping:
1 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled

Directions:
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan with fixed bottom. In large bowl, beat 3/4 cup sugar and shortening at medium speed 3 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add egg; beat 1 minute or until fluffy.
In medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Beat into sugar mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spoon half of the batter into pan.
In medium bowl, stir together all Streusel ingredients except butter. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Top batter with 1 1/2 cups of the blueberries and half of the Streusel. With back of teaspoon, press berries and Streusel into batter. Repeat with remaining batter, blueberries and Streusel.
Bake 45 to 60 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out with some moist crumbs attached and top is light golden brown. Cool on wire rack 20 minutes. Invert cake; remove pan. Turn cake top-side up. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

Till Next Time………………………………............


Copyright © 2013 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

6 comments:

  1. Dear Dottie, Elvis was great and he did sing Blue Christmas the best.

    I would love to share a piece of that delicious looking Blueberry Streusel with you and a delicious cup of coffee.

    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Catherine, thanks for your great comments! I appreciate you stopping by. Yep, i totally agree with you, other people have sung this song, but there was no one that did it better than Elvis. I also would love that cup of coffee and a piece of my cake with you too! Blessings and have a great weekend
    as well. I hear Saturday we are in for more snow! Be safe..Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dottie!!!
    Dare I say, I was never much of an Elvis fan...I do however appreciate Blue Christmas and actually liked the way he sang it best:)

    I'm so excited to know you will be posting everyday 'til Christmas. Way cool...I'm going to try and make it here as often as I can. I could use a bit of Christmas music AND of course some goodies, lol...Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake would go just perfectly with my morning coffee. Thanks for sharing, Dottie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Louise,
    I agree with you Louise, about Elvis. I was never a fan of his when he was around, but as I get older I really like some of his songs and one of them is Blue Christmas. He did do it the best!
    Yes, I am going to try to post everyday, it really is a task, but I love to do it. I love to listen to Christmas music even throughout the year. It really puts you in the spirit! Plus I love Blueberry Coffee Cake. A perfect way to start your day or end it with a cup of tea or coffee.
    Thanks for stopping by and hope that all is well, with you and your crew!
    Blessings, Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dottie , What a great idea to give us 12 days of music and a delicious recipe .
    Like you , I have a vast collection of Christmas and Elvis did sing Blue Christmas the best .
    So happy to hear you will post each day , with this being the busy season , I am a little behind .
    I do so enjoy your blog and looking forward to seeing what you are posting each day .
    I would love to have a piece of your Blueberry Streusel right now with my hot chocolate .
    We are hoping for a white Christmas ... as of now all we are getting is rain .
    See you tomorrow and thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Nee,

    Thanks for stopping by...Glad you like my idea of posting everyday. It is a big job, but I am enjoying doing it. I do not think I could do this all year, but it is fun for the count down to Christmas. It is a busy time, but I have been doing a couple in a day, so I am prepared. I finished my cards, decorations, and gifts already. I just need to wrap and then major baking. My niece is home from college, and she will be my assistant with that.

    I know that Blueberry Streusel Cake is amazing, and a perfect way to end the day with something hot!

    We are supposed to get a snow storm on this weekend, I am also hoping for a white Christmas too!

    See ya tomorrow, Blessings, Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete