Tuesday, May 6, 2014

“Caroline’s Golden Pennies Salad” For Wordless Tuesday......


Welcome to “Wordless Tuesday!” Where there are no more words, just a mouth 
watering recipe which I know you have been waiting for….. 



Caroline Mengert




"May" is National Vinegar Month: This cold carrot salad is very appealing and colorful. The sweet and sour flavor marries nicely together which gives it a pungent taste. This delicious side dish is what I call, “Caroline’s Golden Pennies Salad” and was taught to me by a very close friend and colleague of mine, Caroline. Sadly she is in a better place, so I would like to dedicate this recipe and blog post to her. Don’t forget to come back and visit on Friday for another mouthwatering recipe! Thanks, Enjoy!!

Caroline’s Golden Pennies Salad

Ingredients:


2 lbs of raw carrots, sliced in rings
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 large white onion sliced in rings
1 (10.75 once) can condensed tomato soup (no water added)
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
3/4 cup of distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
Salt and black pepper to taste



Directions:

Bring a pot of salted water to boil, then add washed sliced carrots and cook until they are tender (not soft) approximately 10 minutes. Drain well and cool in a bowl.


Mix rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Stir well. Then add the carrot while liquid is hot. Mix all of the vegetables until coated. Cover and refrigerate to allow flavors to marinate.

Can be served as a cold side salad dish. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, if you still have leftovers.



Till Next Time…….

Copyright © 2014 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved.

4 comments:

  1. Good evening dear Dottie ,
    "Caroline's Golden Pennies Salad" is just what I need to add to my salad We have an enclosed screen dining area out side to eat when the weather is nice and this is quick and easy . You get plenty of vegetables that's good for you . We plant carrots and my kids got to the garden and pull them up , wash outside under the hose and eat them , when watermelon season is here , hubby burst a ripe one in the field and they have fun . Dear Dottie , I enjoys all your recipes they are very wholesome and healthy . Thank you for liking my potos , I am getting a little better with practice , I shoot my photo ... put it in the scanner , upload it to my photo suite and size it , brighten , darken the color to my choose . I am still learning so thanks for the encourgement .
    Really enjoyed this post , thanks for sharing and blessing for the week ahead ... Nee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Nee,
      Thank you for stopping by! I am so glad that you liked this recipe and post. Your screened in dining area sounds like fun. No bugs and if it sprinkles, you don't have to run around and grab everything. Planting carrots and fresh vegetables must be really nice to have things right at your fingertips. I am not a gardener and have no garden, but love to visit my local farmers market for the freshest ingredients. Oh boy, love watermelon, especially eating one in the field, sounds great! I enjoy things like that, and you don't have to be so dainty, Just get messy as you enjoy the fruits of your labors.
      I try to balance out my recipes, some are more healthy and others are not, but again the key word is moderation. I do the same thing with my photos. I think we are both still learning. I just learned how to add the name of my blog to my photos, so no one can steal them. Espeically the family ones. Enjoy your Golden Pennies Salad.
      Have a blessed week as well. Dottie :).

      Delete
  2. Dear Dottie, I am sure your friend is smiling that you dedicated this post to her. That is very sweet.
    This is a great recipe and may be used with so many veggies and will get better the longer it sits.
    Blessings dear for a beautiful day. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Catherine,
      Thank you for your visit. I am sure Caroline my friend is watching over me and is proud that I have created this blog. She was a very special person, much older than I was at the time. We met at work, in 1985 and became friends right away. We always talked about recipes and family. So I learned a lot from her and I have a few of her delicious recipes. She was not Italian, but loved to eat Italian food. She taught me how to make German dumplings, called "Spaetzle".
      With that being said, yes this recipe is yummy and you can use other veggies as well. I agree the longer it sits the better it tastes...but in my house it never sits that long.
      Blessing to you as well, Dottie :)

      Delete