Tuesday, January 6, 2015

“Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe” For "Wordless Tuesday"


Welcome to “Wordless Tuesday!” Taking down Christmas decorations and storing them away until next December certainly indicates the end of the holiday season. As much as we may enjoy celebrations it is time to move on and start the New Year getting back to normal. So, “Wordless Tuesday” is a post with no stories just a fabulous and delicious recipe or two…..

Broccoli Rabe,” also known as rapini and cime di Rapa, has a pleasantly bitter flavor that is an appealing contrast to the sweet pork sausage. As you toss, both ingredients become trapped in the hollows of the ear-shaped pasta, (Orecchiette) making every bite wonderfully flavorful. Prepare this dish in cool-weather months, when “Broccoli Rabe” is in season. Delizioso!!!


Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe

Ingredients:
2 lbs Broccoli Rabe
1 lb sweet or hot Italian sausage
5 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, crushed
Salt to taste
1 tsp red pepper flakes
3 tbs unsalted butter
1 cup chicken stock
Pecorino Romano, freshly grated
Orecchiette, for 6 servings
Cook the Orecchiette pasta 



Directions:
Cut off and discard the lower part of the Broccoli Rabe stems, leaving the broccoli about 8 inches long. Remove the large tough leaves, leaving just tender leaves and flower buds. Peel the thick, lower part of the stems by lifting strips from the stem end with a paring knife or vegetable peeler and drawing them up toward the bud area. A perfect peel is not necessary, but removing the peel does remove bitterness. Cut the stems into 1 1/2 to 2-inch lengths. Wash the broccoli thoroughly and dry it well.

Remove the casing from the sausage and crumble it. In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage meat and cook until the sausage is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Add the crushed garlic and continue to sauté until the sausage is lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil. 



Drain the fat from the pan and add the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Add about half the broccoli rabe to the pan and toss it until it begins to wilt. Add more of the broccoli rabe to pan, as it will wilt. When all the broccoli rabe has been added, cover the pan and steam the broccoli until wilted and bright green, about 4 minutes. Taste and season lightly with salt and red pepper flakes. Stir in the butter until melted, then add the stock and bring to a boil. Boil gently, uncovered, for several minutes more to reduce and concentrate the liquid. Again taste and correct the seasoning. Set the broccoli aside until the pasta is ready.

Cook the Orecchiette. Drain them well and return them to the pan over low heat. Add the broccoli rabe sauce and toss gently to blend. Taste carefully for seasoning, and remove from heat. Add half of the grated cheese and toss to blend. Transfer to a serving platter or a bowl and sprinkle with the rest of the grated cheese. Serve immediately. 



©©©©  White Wine: Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc are your perfect pairs for “Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe”



(This recipe was adapted from Lidia Bastianich)

Till Next Time……………

Copyright © 2015 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

12 comments:

  1. Dear Dottie, Broccoli Rabe is my favorite. I love it. This look delicious.
    It is always bittersweet when the holidays are over and the decorations come down. It is time to get on with the blessing of a new year though and take in all the joy that has been.
    Wishing you a beautiful New Year. xoxoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Catherine,
      I agree, I love it as well, besides it tastes good, it is good for you health wise. I know you feel so let down when you have to take your decorations down. What I do is keep up some of my what I call Snow People. No Santa, just snowmen....it still is festive, but not Christmas. Plus by the looks of it, we are getting some snow tomorrow. I just pray that everyone is safe and has a blessed year ahead... Thanks for your comment dear friend.....
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Dottie , My family love Broccoli Rabe , I use hot Italian sausage in mine , it give it the spicy taste but not the hot taste ...HMmmmm good .
    Finally got the decorations down and put away , not the kids are getting ready for Mardi Gras . Now that is a fun time . I hear your weather is going to get very bad so stay warm and safe my friend .
    Your choice of wines is excellent for this dish . Thanks for sharing . Nee ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Nee,
      So glad that your family loves Broccoli Rabe...mine does as well. We grew up with the sausage and just plain on the side of a dish. My mom would add a couple of hot ones for her and my dad, and we would have the sweet. Sometimes she would leave the sausage whole in the links and not open the casing up. Yummy for sure. Glad that you took down all your decorations. Most of mine are still up, but I need some help to take them down, so I hope that this weekend I will have some help. Oh My Mardi Gras...your children must love this time of the year...but it just is going too fast. Not ready for that yet...Ash Wednesday is early this year, Yes, we had some snow, but the temps are brutal. Very cold and windy...May even get below 0 one of these nights this week. I am planning on cranking up the heat and staying indoors. Thank you, Nee for visiting and your comment! Have a fun week!
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't had Broccoli Rabe in oh so long, Dottie. I really need to make some soon. I love this recipe with the sausage. I think I might add a few chickpeas and dig in, lol!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Dottie...

    P.S. I was here yesterday and saw your Spice Cake for Epiphany. It looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise,
      Thanks for visiting and your comment...Happy that you like this recipe. It is so good and the Broccoli Rabe is in season now..I like the idea of adding some chickpeas. Would make it even more hearty. Thanks for checking out the "Spice Cake" Recipe. A fun post and a delicious piece of cake. I hope that you have a fabulous week ahead...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  4. I love orecchiette. This is a good dish to start off the year... and I am just about to make pasta with broccoli for lunch!
    I try to stay away from sugar. Actually I had enough of it and the more you have the more you want.. the less you have the less you want. Do you find that too?
    Thank you for posting this lovely recipe Dottie. Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alida,
      Thank you for your comment. Yes, I agree a fabulous dish to start off the New Year. Broccoli Rabe is so good for you and with the pasta, it is a dish to remember for lunch or dinner! Alida, dear friend I am like you..the holidays are over now and I also have had enough sugar too. Time to stay strong with veggies and all good foods that are healthy and delicious as well. Yes, I do crave more, but like you said, the less you have the better. Hope that your week is smashing!
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  5. Love broccoli rabe! And orecchiette is such an interesting pasta shape -- I just like the way it looks (and tastes, of course!). Super recipe -- thanks. And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,
      Happy New Year to you as well. Hope that you had a wonderful holiday season. Thanks for stopping over and your comment. So glad that you enjoyed this post and recipe. It is a favorite of mine, especially the orecchiette. Hope that you have a wonderful rest of the week..
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  6. OH YUM! One of my very favorite pastas EVER! I've been wanting to put this on my blog for so long (like 20 million other dishes!) but still have to do it! My mouth is watering right now, just seeing your pics and thinking about this dish! Rapini is on sale this week at our local grocery store, so guess who will be stocking up?! Great post, Dottie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Christina,
      Thank you for your comment...I agree with you...this dish is outstanding. It has it all in one superb dish! Yes, this is the time that Rapini is on sale as it is in season now. I don't blame you..I have to get more myself. So glad that you love this one...Enjoy and have a great Wednesday!
      Dottie :)

      Delete